Friday, September 9, 2011

Time to fly

I'm on the home straight. The trip is coming to an end.

Constant reminders of what awaits me back home are being sent my way - a mix of good and bad.

The good
My bed, my shower, family, friends, my pup Georgie, Melbourne in spring, a potential Collingwood grand final and dinner with my grandparents.

The bad
Looking for a new car, looking for a new job, trying to get back in shape, planning for a future, being friends with Michael Sweeney, the sound of my alarm clock and the return of responsibilities and commitments.

Those first few weeks back home will be interesting.




After more than a month on the US west coast, the east has been an incredible experience. Chicago and Boston may not have had the same perfect weather, but what they lacked in sunlight, they more than made up for in history, sporting passion and character.

Another old friend made in Europe, this time Chicago native Kaitlyn Thoen, took me on a fantastic tour of Chi-town - a city I didn't want to leave.
The home of Michael Jordan and my Chicago Bulls, the city has an interesting history, complemented by incredible sights, beautiful architecture and jaw-dropping landmarks.




Boston is where it all began for the USA and the stories the town have to tell are the most interesting you'll find in the country. Armed with a thick 'Bostonian' accent that sounds more like American slang, the natives are warm, accommodating and their city had a passion for sports that I've only ever seen in one other place - Melbourne.

They were my kind of towns.

As I sit in the Boston airport now, I'm confident I've left the best till last - New York.

Oh airports - my new friend, my new enemy - the 'bonus' that comes with travel.

It's a place where you need patience.

They say time waits for no man, well, at an airport, it waits... oh how it waits.

Have you ever woken up and asked yourself the question, 'I wonder what it would be like to pushed around like cattle' ? Try getting through customs at the Los Angeles international airport. You get the full cattle experience, short of getting branded.




There's also the joy of hidden charges. I swear these people are making it up as they go along and who are we to question? We've paid for our non-refundable flights, we forgot to read the fine print, we're not going to stop forking out cash now.

Sir, there will be a check-in fee of $34. Are you wearing shorts sir? There will also be a shorts-wearing fee of $26. Please have your money ready at the gate for the barcode-reading fee and seatbelt fee - have a great flight.

The people at airports always interest me. You have a great mix of comatose backpackers sleeping on the benches, hungover from the all-nighter they tried to pull the day before. You have your business suits, walking around , looking as important as possible on their phones. You have your parents with small, loud children, with a look on their faces that screams 'I am never having a child again, I am never having sex again just in case.' Finally, you have your airport staff - you can literally see the sense of enthusiasm and motivation stripped from their souls as the answer the same questions every five minutes.

No sir, this is a Virgin America flight to Chicago departing at 3.30pm. No, sorry sir, I don't know anything about your American Airlines flight. Why? Because I only get paid by one airline and I don't check up on what other airlines are doing in my spare time. The toilet? It's right behind you where the big toilet sign is. Have a nice day.

My usual habit while waiting for my flight is to listen to music, read a book, write, have a Kit Kat and read one of the local newspapers. Today, my iphone is dead and, in a true blessing in disguise, I was rewarded with some rare airport magic.

Next to me right now is a young child singing 'Old McDonald had a farm' at the top of his lungs. His mum is incredibly embarrassed and trying to get him to stop, but the rest of the people waiting at the gate are loving the entertainment. An old guy, in his 50's, joined in, then another next to him.

Of course I joined in, who could resist!? After five seconds there was about 20 people at the gate singing Old McDonald.

E I E I O !

When the song was over, we all went straight back to airport-zombie-mode, like nothing ever happened.

This kid was on to something. There is a way to escape the monotomy of airports - having fun.

But, adults arent allowed to go crazy, run around with toys and sing whatever song comes into their head. I've tried it, you just get weird looks.

The actual flying part of travel now comes very easily to me. It wasn't always this way but logging up hundreds of hours around the world will help you get over those tiny sounds that have you convinced the engine is about to explode.




I can't sleep on planes. My trip from Melbourne to Toronto, including waiting time at airports, was 36 hours. 36 hours without sleep. Everyone else on planes looks so comfortable and cosy when they try and sleep, but I just can't do it no matter what I try.

The one time I could feel myself dosing off, I was woken by the flight attendant, asking me if I wanted icecream.

This is what I said in my head.
Really? You woke me up to ask me if I wanted sugar-coated ice? That's going to help me sleep? I've only been awake for the last 27 hours, I'd love a pick-me-up!
Ofcourse I want one! What am I, some kind of person who doesn't take delicious icecream! Give me the damn thing!


This is what came out of my mouth.
"Ok, thanks."

I can stomach it all, for the promise of starting fresh in a new city, seeing new sights, meeting new people, being inspired and delaying reality just a little while longer.

Final call for boarding to New York.

E I E I O ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment