Monday, September 19, 2011

New York - April's city

Start spreading the news. I'm leaving today. I want to be a part of it...

New York, New York.


Before I arrived, I was excited, but fatigued. The drinking and lack of sleep had caught up with me. I didn't know if I'd have the energy to appreciate the city.

You don't need energy for New York. New York provides it.

It started with a ride on the subway - an experience in itself - to the corner of 55th Street and 8th Avenue, meeting up with friends from home -Ryan Attwood and Natalie McPherson- and finding a packed Aussie bar to watch Collingwood win a final in the AFL.

It only got better from there.


It just so happened that Ryan and Nat were in the city at the same time as me on their own travels. It also just so happened that they were staying within a two-minute walk of my building. Spending six days with them was a relief. Having a few cooked meals, having someone to help with directions, having someone to enjoy the sights with - it was a great change of pace.

Times Square, Yankee Stadium, the Museum of Natural History, the Empire State Building, the 10-year anniversary of the twin tower attacks, the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Grand Central Station and 'the top of the rock' - Rockefeller Tower at night. We did it all and not one destination disappointed.

There was also the small matter of getting on the news back home after a Channel 10 reporter spotted us in the crowd at the 9/11 memorial site, throwing a camera way too close to our faces.

You couldn't make up some of the things that have happened to me on this trip.

After six days we covered everything on the checklist and after Ryan and Nat left, I had another three days to slow down, wonder around and get lost.

The city is organised chaos. A living and breathing thing that has slowly melded together perfectly. There is a unique mix of old-world character, modern wonders and American charm. That 'buzz' that everyone told me about is all around you.

You can take a million pictures, but you'll never do the sights justice. You can write forever, but never capture everything you experience. But, it's amazing to try. Some of the best art ever created and best literature ever written has come from people that tried.

It's not hard to tell the locals and tourists apart. The locals are walking at the speed of light, all with headphones on, weaving around cars, ignoring traffic lights and the threat of certain death. The tourists are walking slowly, mouths opened a little, staring skyward at the surrounding buildings, believing that everything they see is photo-worthy - because it is.

I never received any of the famous New York rudeness that I was warned about, but, some stereotypes did ring true.
Every driver is physically-attached to their horn. You don't even have to do anything wrong, these people just love their beeping, even when it can't possibly achieve anything.

"Hmmm, peak hour traffic, maybe, just maybe, if I really get into this horn and be as loud and annoying as possible, things will open up for me, just like Moses and the Red Sea! Only one way to find out..."

If the city lives, Central Park is its heart and soul. Nestled peacefully in the centre of the hustle and bustle is one of the most beautiful parks you'll ever see.
Immaculately maintained and offering the ideal balance of water, flora and room to spread your wings, it's the perfect escape.


The running and riding tracks are framed by unmatched scenery and beauty. No one else knew it, but I was the winner of three marathons. The people I was running against just didn't want it as much as me.

Hidden in one of the park's most picturesque spots is John Lennon's 'Imagine' memorial. When I walked by, there was a large crowd of people just sitting around the decorated tribute, listening to a fan with an acoustic guitar play all the great man's classics - unforgettable moment.

On my second last day I was armed with a laptop, towel, some music and a cheesy 'I love New York' t-shirt as I walked through the park, looking for a quiet spot to stop, relax, write and do as little as possible for the entire day.

I found my spot.

Next to one of the park's small lakes was a deck chair with a message engraved in the wood. It read:

''April, when I think on thee, all losses are returned and sorrows forgotten. To me, you were more beautiful than this park and more inspiring than this view. When I sit here and close my eyes, I can still feel your head on my shoulder. This city belongs to you. I'll love you forever - Bobby. ''


Sitting on April and Bobby's chair, imagining the couple sitting there, growing old, taking in the park, watching as the city peaks through in the background, I had a couple of thoughts. Firstly, nice touch Bobby - someone is definitely getting pancakes in heaven. You can't find words like that for someone unless you truly mean them. Secondly, there's a reason why people flock from around the world to come to this place.

They come here to fulfil a dream in a city of opportunity unlike any other. They come here to be inspired, get the best out of themselves and become part of the culture and history - just like April and Bobby.

But, not everyone makes it. For every person in a suit, for every happy family, for every success, for every April and Bobby there is a another person holding a sign promoting a $5 sandwich at Subway, a homeless man on the street with a depressed dog as his only companion and another guy with a bag of 'goodies' for sale that included condoms, white wine, water, maps and ponchos - I'm not even kidding.

Sure buddy, I'd love to buy stuff from a stranger who smells like death. How much for your condoms that look like they expired in 1992? And that pre-opened bottle of wine, how many drugs did you throw in? Only a little you say? Sold!

There is a perfection even in the flaws of New York. I'm really going to miss this city.



I know I'm coming to the end - the end of the trip, the end of adventure. I'm really looking forward to finishing this off where it all started - Toronto.

For now, I have to say goodbye to April's city. Hopefully I'll be back one day.

When I think on thee, all of my losses will be returned and sorrows forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment