Thursday, September 9, 2010

Writer's... Block


For a while now, I’ve been thinking about this blog business.

I’ve always enjoyed having my random thoughts heard and occasionally-appreciated.

I’ve got little interest in cars, I’m useless with my hands and I’ve done nothing constructive with my life to date, so I guess this is my chance at getting some much-needed attention.

I enjoy the process of writing; Beginning with an idea, procrastinating for three days and then finishing with the odd half-decent piece.

What I enjoy more than anything else is the phenomena of writer’s block.

Writer’s block – I laugh every time I think about it.
We have the entire world duped.

I’m sorry, I can’t do my job today. I am mentally unable.

Can you imagine this in any other profession?

Sorry boss, I have police-block. I need inspiration before I catch crims today.

Or…

Sorry boss, I have air traffic control-block. These things are just going to have to land themselves today.

Even though writers are the only ones that can lay claim to it, I think we’ve seen this before.

-Lleyton Hewitt seemed to have decent-human-being-block for a decade.
-The girl making my sandwich at Subway last week had good-hygiene-block.
-My dad has TV-remote-block
-Every guy in the world has attractive girl-induced-brain-block

So, how do you tell the difference between writer’s block and laziness?
It’s quite simple. One person will sit in front of his computer screen and get frustrated, the other will sit in front of his screen and get a high score on Bejewelled.

How do you beat writer’s block?
You write. Even if it’s absolute rubbish, at least you have words on the screen. Write something, delete it and then improve on it. Some of the best crap you’ll ever write comes after the throws of a supposed block.

I think that is what has drawn me to this noble profession. The beautiful ability to look at my screen, not do anything and be completely content in my laziness.

Now excuse me, I have to go get myself a drink, I should be working

No comments:

Post a Comment