Thursday, September 23, 2010

The final day

Strange things happen to grown men who follow football.

Logic, decency, maturity… They’re either ignored or never there to begin with.

For the whole of 2010, I’ve attended and watched games, spilling beer on myself, losing all my bets and repelling women.

Something’s been different this year- we’ve been winning. There’s been less stress, more fun and a lot more hatred thrown my way.

With a grand final appearance just days away, it’s got to the stage where a premiership is finally a genuine possibility.

This has me nervous, excited and scared.

I’ve built a personality around near misses and heartbreak. I have no idea what to do with success and happiness.

What do successful people wear? Should I learn how to smile? What do I do with my hands?

What happens to people after success? Do we enjoy our moment and then disappear into obscurity like Will Smith? Or can we carry on and have long-lasting success like an Australian Idol winner?

Do I rub it in people’s faces? Do I wear a smug smile on my face for 6 months?

I’m so lost.

At the very least, if we cop another heart-breaking loss, I’ll know what to do with myself – Cry into a pillow, post a rhetorical depressing Facebook status update and tell myself that everything will be ok…Just like every other Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment